Don’t Say Cheese!
A heart healthy vegan macaroni and “cheese” dish – rich, creamy and easy to prepare!
-1 large handful of raw, unsalted cashews – whole or pieces
– Approx 1/4 cup of soy milk
– 1 TBSP vegan cream cheese or vegan sour cream (Tofutti brand is available in most grocery stores)*
– 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
– 1/2 teaspoon tumeric (optional, for color)
– 1 teaspoon onion powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic
– 1/2 box macaroni – shells or elbow pasta
* If you can’t find vegan sour cream or cream cheese, simply puree 2 teaspoons of canola oil and 1/4 block of tofu together in a food processor or blender ’til smooth.
What to do:
In a food processor, blend the raw cashews and soy milk until creamy. With less powerful food processors, it’s best to puree the cashews first, then add the soy milk and blend. You want to make sure it’s not gritty. Pour the mixture into a pot and turn the heat up to medium. Whisk in the vegan cream cheese or sour cream, plus the mustard and seasonings. Simmer the sauce for approximately 10 minutes and pour over boiled elbow or shell pasta. Yields 3-4 side dishes.
Note: To make the macaroni richer, add another TBSP of vegan cream cheese and 2 teaspoons canola oil.
Miss Rachel’s Pantry is a vegan personal chef, meal delivery, and catering company in Philadelphia, Pa, making real-deal homestyle food. To contact her for more information, her website is: www.missrachelspantry.com
Editors note: We at friendlysuggestions.com are delighted to have Miss Rachel’s Pantry provide these recipes for all of us! If you can’t make them yourself, do yourselves a favor, those of you in the Philly area, call her to make something for you, and/or have her provide some healthy food for your next party or event.